BEST CINNAMON ROLLS
by Remi Idowu
Cinnamon Roll Dough
- 115ml Warm Milk
- 7g Easy Bake Yeast
- 35g Caster Sugar
- 1 Egg + 1 Egg Yolk
- 36g melted butter
- 385g Strong White Bread Flour
- 50g Caster Sugar
- 50g Light Brown Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Ground Cinnamon
- 35g Stork or Softened Butter
- 20g Unsalted Butter
- Warm milk in microwave for 40-45 seconds. It should be warm enough to dip your finger in, if its too hot allow to cool down if not this will kill the yeast.
- Sprinkle yeast on top and set aside.
- In a large bowl or bowl of an electric mixer add flour,egg,egg yolk,sugar and melted butter, lastly add yeast mixture.
- Place dough hook on stand mixer and knead dough on medium speed for 8 minutes. Dough should form into a ball. If it's too sticky, add in 2 tablespoons more bread flour or if too wet add 15ml of milk.If you don’t want to use an electric mixer, you can use your hands to knead the dough for 8-10 minutes on a well-floured surface.
- Transfer dough ball to a well-oiled bowl and cover with warm towel, preferably in a dark place. Allow dough to rise for 1 hour to 1 ½ hours, or until doubled in size. This may more or less time depending on the warmth of your house.
- After dough has doubled in size, transfer dough to a well-floured surface and roll out into a 14x9 inch rectangle. Spread softened butter over dough, leaving a ¼ inch margin at the far side of the dough.
- In a small bowl, mix together sugars and cinnamon. Use your hands to sprinkle mixture over the buttered dough, then rub the cinnamon sugar mixture into the butter.
- Sprinkle cubed butter onto the dough, this will melt in the oven and keep the centre of your dough moist.
- Tightly roll dough up, starting from the 9-inch side and place seam side down making sure to seal the edges of the dough as best you can. You will probably need to cut off about an inch off the ends of the dough as the ends won’t be as full of cinnamon sugar as we’d want it to be (these make great tasters).
- Cut into 1 inch sections with a serrated knife,floss or thread. Cuts are cleaner when you use floss or thread.You should get 9 large pieces.
- Place cinnamon rolls in a greased 9x9 inch baking pan or round 9 inch cake tin and cover with a towel and let rise again for 30-45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees celsius
- After the rolld have risen remove towel and bake cinnamon rolls for 20-25 minutes or until just slightly golden brown on the edges. If you underbake them slightly they stay soft in the middle so allow them so be a golden brown.
- To create icing simply use icing sugar with a 2:1 ratio and drizzle on top!